Mar 8, 2015

McIntosh and Co. Cabinetmakers Day 1 and 2

I was given a fortunate opportunity to work for a Cabinetmaker, McIntosh and Co. Cabinetmakers formerly known as McIntosh and Tuttle Cabinetmakers of Lewiston, ME. 

Central Maine Community Colleges Building and Construction program will, this fall, require you to pursue an externship to gain credits necessary to complete the BCT Associates Degree. The externship can take place with any company that is seeking to bridge a connection to CMCC and the company must also is capable of taking on a part time employee for a period of time during the semester. 

I chose to do this one because it was turned down by another student and I am seeking to learn as much as possible in the short 2 years I will be in this program. For the remaining semester I will be full-filling a number of hours with Todd and his crew at McIntosh and Co. doing odd shop duties as well as shadowing a couple of the master carpenter/ cabinetmakers he employs.   

 On my first day, I had a few tasks. One was cleaning when my other tasks were satisfied and the other was helping who ever asked me for a hand.
  Joey, the foreman at McIntosh and Co., asked me to assist him in feeding the face frames and doors he built through the large sander that he referred to as the "time saver."

Joey also gave me the run down on all the machinery which I have noticed in every shop means "bad story time." A good way to get someone  to use something safely is to tell them the possibly result of not using it safely.


Next I was asked to chop and box up all the scrap around the shop.


I took no photos, but I also vacuumed half the shop. 


In the photo above I was asked to "catch" wood  from the planer for Joey who fed the wood. That large stack would be tedious to plain alone.  

                                                                                                                                                                                           
 I was then given the duty of cutting down this maple bead molding from 1 1/4" to 13/16ths." All 320 lineal feet. They had leftover they planned on using for a future project but what it was sized at was too wide so I ripped it down on a table saw, then added up of the lineal footage for cataloging.
Finally at the end of my second day, I re organized and cataloged all the misc. trim pieces and decorative moldings they have, bundled them together and wrote on the plastic holding them together the lineal footage. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment