Mar 1, 2015

Tree Spirits Winery: Curley Maple Bar Top Refinish


I was asked to refinish this curley maple bar top at Tree Spirits Winery in Oakland, ME by someone has has confidently been a repeat customer of mine. The old finish was a high gloss polyurethane oil base. I used the same finish, 4 light coats with lots of prep work before hand and light sanding between coats.


Step 1: Remove old Varnish 

I belt sanded with 80 grid to remove the old poly, then 120 grit when I got down to wood. 






Step 2: Hand Sand until respectably smooth

After belt sanding with the 120, I moved to hand sanding some of the heavier belt marks with 120. Then with 220 course grit, I smoothed out the table the long way so any scars would go with the grain. Next was was 320 course grit to remove scars from the 220. Finally and quickly just to over kill the smoothness I used 400 on the wood.  

Step 3: First Coat of Poly Applied





Step 4: Second Coat

             After each step I would sand with a 320 foam pad to get hairs off surface.


                    Step 5: Third Coat


                    Step 6: Final Coat 

                   Once this one is dry I will lightly go over it with 600 to make it smooth to the touch.





That was easy!







0 comments:

Post a Comment