Apr 5, 2015

McIntosh and Company Cabinetmakers Day 5 and 6: Shelving Glue Ups

Tuesday March 24th : Glued Up Shelf Nosings 







This photo is showing the U-shaped profile of the nosing that I worked to glue onto the shelves. The photo below you can see the many clamps I have holding the glue ups together.




After I finished gluing the material I proceeded to scrap the glue that squirted out of the joints. If the surface on the wood is finished the glue comes off no problem, if it soaks into in finished wood you will need to take caution when scraping it not to gouge the wood up trying to get the glue off.


Thursday March 26th: Sanding Door Panels and Glued up L-Brackets


Thursday I moved onto the task of finish sanding door panels, a crucial and necessary step in producing fine cabinetry. This is a pretty repetitive task, I sanded many panels and draw fronts before they went off to be sprayed.   

That pneumatic orbital sander spins 33.3 times per second.  
Then just as a fun filler task I was asked to glue up all 3/4" x 5" or 6" by any length I could find. These L- brackets are also necessary in cabinetry for creating true 90 degree angles when assembling the carcass of a cabinet unit, they will all need wood brackets that allow for addition screws or staples. So what I make here will be chopped down into many littler brackets for future use. 





0 comments:

Post a Comment